Sample chapter from A Compilation of Twelve Short Stories


FLIGHT DELTA 1435

I was awoken from deep slumber by the familiar but much dreaded sound, my throw ball alarm clock.
Eye’s still closed I reached onto my night table knocking over a glass on to the carpet blindly feeling for the object of my annoyance, 

“Darn it!, Where are you?” I muttered feeling with my fingers until I touched the smooth rubber skin of the alarm clock.
Grasping it firmly in my clenched hand I threw the alarm blindly across the room and heard a thump on the wall and a dull thud as it fell onto the carpet then turning on to my back I lay there with a content smile on my face as the alarm went silent.

“Ahh Now that is what I call a home run!” I lay there quite comfortable, maybe too comfortable. “Got to get a move on, got a plane to catch!”

“5:30 am, flight at 10 got plenty of time Phoebe, move your ass girl!” I muttered to myself and climbed out of bed feeling the cool but soft shag carpet on my bare feet. “Hmmm, I didn’t know shag was still in style these days” Looking down at the hotel room carpet uniformed in a tan plain design throughout the room.

“Gotta Pee!” I ran into the bathroom and relieved myself before turning on the shower allowing the water to get hot before showering.
The steam in the bathroom became a fog and I knew I was going to feel refreshed afterwards as I stepped into the shower cubical and felt the warm revitalizing water bring me back to life.
I stepped out of the bathroom into the bedroom with just a bath towel around my modesty and a towel wrapped around my hair to see my cell phone had 3 missed text messages, picking it up I saw one from my mother saying “Hi honey, hope you have a good flight…. See you when you get back, Mom”

The 2nd message from my ex Pete wanting to talk, “Sorry loser, you had your chance and blew it!” And the 3rd from my boss at Redesign Inc in Washington State, where I am a Design Engineer on route to Seattle for a conference informing me that all accommodation and a hire vehicle has been booked for me. “Nice!”

I dried my hair put on my make-up and matching underwear and slipped into my cream silk blouse, fastening the buttons top to bottom as is my daily routine with button fastening leaving …the top 2 open, then I pulled on my stockings and next came my 2 piece skirt suite and last my designer high heel shoes and then I stood in front of the bathroom mirror and observed myself. “Drop dead gorgeous Phoebe!” With a flip of my hair and a quick pucker in the mirror I grabbed my purse and picked it up off the bed checking one last time that I had my documents and flight tickets then I took and extended the arm of my travel bag and wheels rolling walked out of the room into the corridor. “Now for the airport” I thought to myself.

It didn’t take long to flag a taxi outside the hotel and from there the drive was uneventful other than the espanic taxi driver unshaven turning round when I got into the back of his cab. 

“Where to senora?”

“Airport… It smells in the back of this cab?” The smell was gross like vomit. 

“Yes! Sorry about that I had a bambino, err baby in an hour ago needed to go to the hospital”

“I see! Hope the baby was OK?”

“Don’t know! I only drive and drop off” With that the rest of the journey was silent and I just sat looking out of the window.
At the Airport I got out of the cab paid the cabbie and grabbed my case before entering the revolving door to the airport terminus.
Immediately I heard the crackle of the airport speakers announcing the different flight numbers and destinations and gates to go to, listening for Delta Airline flight D1435 I thought I was not going to hear the call until I heard it come over the PA.

“10 am Flight D1435, Delta Airlines from Washington to Seattle is now delayed and will be taking off at 2 pm from Gate 23, we apologize for any inconvenience”
I pushed back my sleeve and looked at my watch,”9:05, Shit! That means I’m going to be late checking in to the hotel tonight”

I looked around and saw by the looks on other people’s faces that my thoughts where not alone. “Oh well, check in my case and something to eat I guess”
I walked over to one of the terminus monitors suspended from the ceiling and strained my eyes as I looked down the list of flight numbers on the screen until I found mine D1435 near to the bottom of the screen. “Gate 23, check in desk 17 now open” I looked down the row of checking in desk that seemed to run for miles and saw number 12 to my right. “Perfect!” I thought and made my way to number 17 joining with a groan the now relatively busy line up for service.
What seemed to be an age I finally arrived at the check in desk, handing my E-ticket and passport to the check in clerk and after the usual questions checked in my case. After the usual pleasantries and smiles I walked away from the check in desk free of luggage at last and my stomach reminded me that I needed food.

“Yummy breakfast, I need food” Looking up at the various signage’s around me I saw washrooms this way, parking that way, every sign but food here.
Then like the Holy Grail I could smell it. “Bacon and poached eggs, Oh follow the nose girl” I was like a woman possessed, along here over there and up an escalator into heaven. “Coffee, I smell Coffee!” I made my way up to the lineup and when my turn came I ordered a full breakfast and Coffee.

Now full and ready for the day I sat there at the table sipping slowly on another cup of coffee and removed my note book from my purse, switched it on and began to study my notes for the conference tomorrow in Seattle.
I was so deep in concentration with my notes that I hadn’t seen the lady sat at my table with 2 very young girls when she interrupted me and asked me what flight I was going on.
Without looking up I told her Seattle and continued to review my notes.

“I am too; I mean we are on that flight too” She quickly corrected herself. “Jesse stop doing that honey you’ll get your pants all dirty” She scolded the older of the two girls who were on the floor of the cafeteria playing with an old paper cup.

“They’re cute” I retorted. 

“Their little devas”  The Mother replied. 

“How old are they?” I enquired.

“Well Jesse’s 5 and the oldest and Chantel is 3 but they’re both my whole world, gotta love yer kids!”
“Oh sorry, how rude of me” She apologized “I’m Kathy”

“Phoebe, happy to meet you”

“Hope I’m not being rude again, but are you going on business?” Kathy asked “I am in deed but don’t be fooled it’s rather boring if you get my meaning” I replied.
That broke the ice between us and we had a really enjoyable conversation about this and that mainly that being MEN of course and what asses they can be but in general Kathy was my type of friend.  She told me she had just been to Washington state to spend 2 weeks with her husband before he was deployed overseas as he was a Marine and had only 6 months left to serve before he was due to leave the forces, but she was apprehensive about what the prospects where when he did leave the marines.
The kids where cuter than I thought and Chantel was defo the clown of the two. Kathy was to the point, honest and down to earth pure fun just like a gal should be.

We were so engrossed in conversation that time just flew by when we heard over the PA, “All passengers for Delta Airlines Flight D1435 please go to gate 23 for boarding please”

“Oh my god, Ha-ha” Kathy chuckled “We really let time fly by Phoebe, come on girls’ time to go” It seemed a circus event struggling with kid’s bags and the hand luggage. “Jesse, Leave the chip bag honey” I could see Kathy struggling so I intervened. “Here let me help!” And together with hand luggage and two kids in tow we made our way to the boarding gate together.
We walked through the gate with our boarding passes passing all our hand luggage through the security x-ray machine and then we passed through to the seating lounge to wait for the flight to board.

“Hmmm, royal blue seating and brown carpeting, that’s got to be a man who chose those colors Phoebe”

“Oh yeah Not very bright and thinks with his nuts” I replied. “Sorry, I forgot the kids are here!” Kathy started laughing 

“No need to apologize, these girls hear far worse from Derek’s buddies”

“Hope we’re seated next to each other now we’ve made friends Phoebe”

“Let’s hope so, here is my cell number and E-mail if we’re not”

“OK and here’s mine Phoebe” Kathy responded, “Take this number down it’s my home, 0714-3639-4852 and this is my cell 302-3775-96321”

“OK got them!”

“Phoebe” Jesse said “Do you have a daddy?” I was taken aback by the question but told her. 

“Yes, my Daddy was a soldier too and just like your Daddy he loved me too”

“What my Daddy loves you too?” With this both I and Kathy broke out laughing. 

“Nooo your Daddy loves you just like my Daddy loves me”

“Ohhh that’s OK” Jesse replied.

“Looks like where getting on board” Kathy observed as a member of the airport staff and Delta airlines walked over to the doors to the sky-walk and began to unlock the doors. “OK kids time to get ready, you excited Chantel?”

“What is your seat numbers Kathy?” I enquired. 

“34b to 34d Hun”

“Great I’m 34a, we are sat together”

I saw a great big grin across Jesse’s face and a smile appears on Kathy’s. “Get them margaritas out baby cause we women need to party, just joking” Kathy said.

“Can everyone please line up ready to board; anyone in a wheel chair will be boarded first thank you” With that we passed through the doors and walked down the sky-walk corridor to the awaiting stewards in the planes doorway welcoming us all aboard and once on board guiding us to our seat numbers, we stowed away our hand luggage and settled down in our seats, fastening our seat belts and ready for takeoff. 

“Oh I hate this part!” Kathy said “Taking off always scares me!” She said. 

“You’ll be fine” I said with a nervous tone, I never did like to fly.

“Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen” The planes PA burst into life with the voice of the Pilot, “I’m Captain Robert Spence and my Co-pilot today is Stacy Bailey, We’re sorry for the inconvenience of the flight being delayed but we hope to be at our destination Seattle by 9:30pm tonight”

I looked at Kathy and she was looking at me with a look of fear in her eyes as the plane’s engines began to whine as they burst into life.
The PA burst into life again as the pilot continued “Welcome to Delta flight D1435, whilst we taxi to the runway please take note of the safety demonstration of the cabin crew, thank you for flying with Delta and enjoy your flight”

The cabin crew began to go over all the safety of the plane whilst we listened and watched I noticed that Chantel had fallen fast asleep with the rocking motion of the plane taxiing to the runway.
The sway motion as we turned to and fro began to make me feel a little apprehensive when all of a sudden, the plane stopped and the cabin lights where dimmed.

“Cabin crew to take off positions” Came over the PA and the engines of the plane began to roar to life.
All of a sudden the plane lurched forward and with great speed and noise began to shoot down the runway, I could feel the wheels running along the ground like thunder then without warning the whole plane lifted off the ground into the air and pitched at a 45 degree angle and forcing us back into the back of our seats.
As we rose like a phoenix I could see through one of the portal windows the brilliant red sunset as we lifted higher and higher in to the evening sky.
Kathy’s hands where white knuckled as she held the arms of her seat, Chantel didn’t stir as she slept and Jesse had unfastened her belt and clung to Kathy
All was well and once the plane leveled off at 38000 feet everyone settled down.

An hour into the flight and I saw Kathy and Jesse had fallen asleep, the lights in the cabin remained dimmed and most of the passengers were either asleep or trying to sleep after such a long day in the airport, Me I just couldn’t get comfortable to sleep and that’s when it happened! That’s when all hell broke loose!
I was startled and everyone was woken up by a violent bang on the port side of the aircraft, 

“Wwhat just happened, what was that noise?” Asked a startled Kathy. 

“I don’t know!” I replied. 

Suddenly the aircraft began to shudder and shake violently; I could see an orange glow coming from the port side engine through the darkness outside the aircraft.
Kathy began to try to comfort Jesse and Chantel who were now crying hysterically. 

“Oh my god” I said as I saw smoke coming into the cabin and an electrical burning smell. People began to panic and the cabin crew where trying their best to calm everyone down but to no avail.

“Mommy!” I heard Chantel and Jesse call out and I saw Kathy praying holding them both tightly.
Then a 15 foot section of the cabin wall port side suddenly ripped away revealing the dark night to the open as 7 sets of seats with their occupants and 2 members of the cabin crew where sucked out of the hole into the abyss that awaited them with all loose items following the plane began to fall out of the sky nose first with the wind howling and blowing into and through the cabin. The wind chilled us to the bone and the thin air made it difficult to breath until the face mask deployed from vents above us.
I got my mask and tugged as instructed during the safety demonstration and I could breath, I looked at Kathy but she was unconscious along with Chantel and Jesse. 

“Kathy wake up and put this mask on” I shouted but no response. I tried to put the mask over her face but I couldn’t because of the angle we were falling out of the sky and I could see others struggling with the same problem.

“Brace! Brace! Brace!” Came over the PA and then a scream of terror and I knew this was it so I closed my eyes and waited for the inevitable, suddenly I could hear the beeping of an alarm.

I opened my eyes and found myself in bed in the hotel room and the beeping was my trusty old throw ball alarm.
I lay there and thought “My god that was so real” I went into the bathroom and got showered and when I came out I saw my cell on the bed with 3 missed text messages.
When I read them I turned white and chilled to the bone, one was from Mom saying “Hi Honey hope you have a good flight…. See you when you get back love Mom” the next was from my ex Pete and the 3rd from redesign Inc confirming my hotel and hire car.

I sat on the bed numb then I quickly got dressed and rushed to the airport in the same taxi with the same smell and taxi driver as in my dream.
The same delay was announced; I ran to the Delta Airline desk and demanded to speak to someone in authority. The clerk said “Can I help you?” I said “No, I need to speak to someone now that can help me”
“I’m sorry” Said the clerk “But we don’t just bring people down to speak to passengers without knowing what the problem is Madam”

“The problem is over 200 people are going to die tonight unless something is done!” I blurted out, and then I knew I had lost any credibility with this person. “Look” I said “I know it seems crazy but D1435 HAS A PROBLEM and if it’s not checked out all those people are going to die tonight”

“If this is a joke Madam you may be arrested and charged with uttering a threat or terrorist charges being brought against you” The clerk looked rather agitated and reluctant to call someone.

“I know you think I’m nuts but if I’m wrong then fine commit me to a psych ward or throw me in jail but my god have that plane checked out; Port-side engine!”

The clerk looked at me for a second then he walked to a phone on the back counter and dialed 2 numbers, 1 to Security and 1 to the airline Duty Manager. It seemed like forever before the Duty Manager got to the desk but I was already under close scrutiny of 2 large and frightening security men and an airline official.
The duty manager walked up to the desk and quietly spoke to the clerk out of ear shot, I could tell by his demeanor and the chuckle he had that he thought it was some kind of crazy person he was about to address.

“Hello I understand you say we have a problem with one of our aircraft, I’m Thomas Harrington and you are?”

“Phoebe Warden and yes you do have a problem” I commenced to tell him of my dream and what happens to flight D1435 tonight and he listened, at first he was skeptical but then he seemed to listen more intently as I told him minute by minute of the account of the tragedy about to unfold.
After I finished speaking he said nothing and then he called in the clerk from the desk.

“Yes Mr. Harrington” The clerk responded. “I want you to go to food court 3 in terminal 2 and see if there is a woman sat at table 12 with 2 little girls around the ages of 3 and 5” The clerk looked puzzled so Thomas Harrington made it clearer with a sterner voice. “GO AND SEE IF THEY ARE THERE”

“Err! Yes sir” With a startled looks the clerk left immediately.

“Now my dear what was the name of the Captain and Co Pilot?” He asked me. 

“Captain Robert Spence and Stacy Bailey is the Co-pilot” I said, Mr. Harrington then picked up his cordless phone and called over the PA “Captain Spence and Co-pilot Bailey to the front information desk lounge please”

“Do you believe in fate Miss. Warden?” He asked me. 

“Until this dream, No I didn’t but now yes I do” I told him.

“Me too, what you described happened to an aircraft 30 years ago and I’ve been with this Airline 40 and I swore if there’s any off chance to avoid a disaster I’ll take it”

There was a knock on the door to the lounge and then the door opened, in walked two people in a white pilot’s shirt uniform and I knew it was the Pilot and his Co-pilot. “Ahh Bobby come in and meet Miss Warden, she has a story to tell you and I want to know what you think” We shook hands and then he sat down in front of me and listened without saying a word whilst the co-pilot stood in the corner of the room and took it all in. When I had finished the pilot just sat in silence with a look of disbelief on his face.

“You don’t believe me do you, I know it sounds insane but I’m an engineer and the only thing that could rip a hole the size of an SUV in the side of that plane is if there is an oxygen leak next to an electrical fire”

“What do you think Bobby?” Mr. Harrington retorted.

“Can’t hurt to have the Port Engine checked over, we are delayed for another 3 or so hours anyhow” Bobby replied.

“OK” Said Harrington “Get the Chief Engineer to go over that engine with a fine tooth-comb, Oh and check the oxygen lines” At that moment there was a knock on the door and the clerk came back into the room. 

“Err Sir, I went to the cafeteria as instructed and found a Mrs. Kathy Moreland with her 2 daughters…!” 

I cut him short and said “Jesse and Chantel?” Then a woman walked into the room with her 2 daughters behind the clerk. “Err yes so I brought them here Sir” The clerk continued.

“Thank you, you can go back to the desk” With that the clerk left the room. 

“Do I know you”? Kathy asked. ‘Why have we been brought here?”

“All will be revealed soon Mrs. Moreland please take a seat, Miss Warden has a story to tell you and thanks to Miss. Warden we have something to check. “Bobby, Stacy, shall we” With that they all left the lounge leaving myself and Kathy with the girls.

I commenced to tell Kathy all and she reacted pretty much as I would had someone told me an outlandish story but she kept her head and reserved her thoughts for the result of the aircraft engineers.
It felt like hours or so it seemed before Mr. Harrington and the Pilot and Engineer came back to the lounge. They were very quiet when they entered the room then Mr. Harrington spoke up with a very vague look on his face.

“Miss Warden, I asked you if you believe in fate and you said.” He looked at me for an answer. 

“I do now... why?” I asked.

“As hard as it is for me to acknowledge this and we are all in agreement” The Pilot and Engineer nod in agreement. 

“You young lady just saved the lives of over 200 passengers and crew” The Engineer spoke up. “I checked the Port Engine and the oxygen lines and we did have a leak in the oxygen line over the port-side, it was so small no one could have seen it” He then paused and then continued. “The Port engine had a six inch crack in the housing and blades 7 through 16”

The Pilot thanked me for saving his plane and passengers then the engineer carried on. “Had the plane not been checked and had it taken off I have no doubt whatsoever that within the time frame you said after takeoff this plane would have exploded and crashed”

Kathy thanked me and gave me a huge hug then commenced to give me her cell number but I recited it from my dream and she smiled and said “Now I know you’re a true friend”

For obvious reasons it wasn’t made public but the Airline did give me a reward and an award privately and as for Kathy and I …well we became best friends and her daughters Jesse and Chantel now 12 and 10 call me Aunt Phoebe.

As for flying if I can avoid it; I do, I would rather do a road trip instead, usually with Kathy if I’m going in her direction.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mankind intelligent or dumbest animal on the planet?

Man in the woods short story

Peter Hawthorn Belfast bound Adio