Success or failure

How does an author judge success or failure?
I personally don’t judge success or failure on book sales or even a fan following, I judge success on completion of your book.
Sure it’s nice to have the wealth and it’s a godsend to have a following; book reviews are hard to come by as an unknown author and in order to get those book reviews you have to spend money in order to get someone to read your work and even then there’s no guarantee that it will create sales or a following.
The sad truth is as an unknown author if you don’t have the money to market your books or pay for reviews you are at the mercy of social media and your books become stagnant unknown to the populous that your books are out there.
Self-publishing is a good tool whereas the more traditional publishers (The big 5) can be picky and choose who they wish, that’s fine but they pass over a great number of authors with absolutely fantastic stories to tell.
I have had people read my books and they are blown away AND this is what I rate as success.
“WHY? “
It’s because if I can interest and captivate just one person with my stories I have achieved the whole point of being an author.
“Do I want to sell books?”
Of course, I do but making the money is just the other side of being an author. It’s the fact that I have achieved something that will forever be there long after I have gone, that’s my legacy J
“So why not give them away for free?” I hear you saying…
I work a full-time job and would love to be able to write full time, free books are downloaded but very rarely read and reviews don’t follow.
I would love reviews from people good and bad, it’s how I improve and let’s face it not everyone has the same likes or taste…..
It’s what makes us human after all.
Replies welcome, the question I’m open to answer.
Thanks for reading…

                                                                     Stephen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mankind intelligent or dumbest animal on the planet?

Man in the woods short story

Peter Hawthorn Belfast bound Adio